Overview of Tennessee Assisted Living
Bordered by the Appalachian Mountains to the east and the Mississippi River to the west, Tennessee is land of history, culture and natural beauty. This birthplace of Country Western music is also full of Civil War heritage, plus other exciting attractions like the remarkable Tennessee Aquarium and Elvis Presley’s Graceland.
Residents of Tennessee assisted living won’t need to travel far to marvel at the wonders of the Great Smoky Mountains in America’s most visited national park. Tennessee experiences hot summers and mild winters, with plenty of rainy days to keep the valleys green.
Cost of Tennessee Assisted Living
The average cost of assisted living in Tennessee is $3,395 per month. This is higher than the national average which is $2,877 per month.
Paying for Assisted Living in Tennessee
Most assisted-care living facilities in Tennessee are privately run, and residents are expected to pay for their services using retirement savings or long-term healthcare insurance.
Assisted Living in Tennessee Defined
In Tennessee, an assisted-care living facility (ACLF) refers to a building, establishment, complex or distinct part thereof that accepts mature seniors for domiciliary care and services.
The purpose of assisted-care living services is to:
- Promote the availability of appropriate residential facilities for the elderly and adults with disabilities in the least restrictive and most homelike environment.
- Provide assisted-care living services to residents in facilities by meeting each individual’s medical and other needs safely and effectively.
- Enhance the individual’s ability to age in place while promoting personal individuality, respect, independence and privacy.
A resident of assisted living in Tennessee must be ambulatory or able to self-transfer from a bed to a mobility device such as a wheelchair.
There are two other classifications for Tennessee residences designed to provide assistive care to the elderly or disabled. A “Home for the Aged” offers room, board and personal services to four or more residents, while an “Adult Care Home” provides 24-care in a homelike environment to no more than five residents. Although smaller in scale, the standards set for these two facility categories are similar to those of an assisted-care living facility. You can find Homes for the Aged and Adult Care Homes in our Care Homes category.
Regulation of Tennessee Assisted Living Facilities
Assisted living in Tennessee is governed by the Department of Health’s Division of Health Care Facilities. At least every 15 months, a representative of the health department will make an unannounced inspection of each assisted-care living facility to ensure that state-wide regulations are being upheld.
Each ACLF shall provide each resident with at least the following personal services:
- Protective care
- Safety when in the ACLF
- Daily awareness of the individual’s whereabouts
- The ability and readiness to intervene if crises arise
- Room and board
- Non-medical living assistance with activities of daily living
In addition, Tennessee’s assisted living laws include regulations such as:
- The administrator must fulfill at least 24 hours of continuing education annually.
- The ACLF must employ a licensed nurse and a qualified dietician as needed.
- The facility must operate an annual influenza vaccination program.
- Fire drills should be held four times per year for each work shift, including one during sleeping hours.
Senior Homes has an extensive directory of senior living options, with care and living providers across the United States.
Assisted Living Articles and Resources
Top Cities in Tennessee
- Memphis Assisted Living
- Nashville Assisted Living
- Knoxville Assisted Living
- Chattanooga Assisted Living
- Clarksville Assisted Living
- Murfreesboro Assisted Living
- Jackson Assisted Living
- Johnson City Assisted Living
- Franklin Assisted Living
- Bartlett Assisted Living
- Hendersonville Assisted Living
- Kingsport Assisted Living
- Collierville Assisted Living
Compare Costs, Photos, & Reviews of All Your Options Near Tennessee