2 Assisted Living Communities in Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
The average cost of assisted living in the city is $4,425 a month. This guide is a starting point covering the cost of assisted living care in the city, as well as financing options to pay for it. You’ll find in-depth information on 2 Assisted Living Communities in Saint Louis Park and several in surrounding areas. The Cost of Senior Care in Saint Louis Park, MN
- Assisted Living: $4,425
- Nursing Home Care: $8,491
- In-home Care: $5,529
- Adult Day Health Services: $1,798
Assisted Living Facilities near Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
Compare Costs, Photos, & Reviews of All Your Options Near Saint Louis Park
Our Family Advisors can help your family make a confident decision about senior living.
Map of Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
Assisted Living Costs in Saint Louis Park
Data from Genworth’s 2018 Cost of Care survey reveals that the average monthly costs for assisted living in the state of Minnesota span a range of approximately $700. The highest cost is paid in Saint Louis Park ($4,425) followed by Mankato ($4,393) and Duluth ($4,250). Rates in these three cities are moderately more expensive than the $4,000 state and national averages. Costs in Rochester and St. Cloud have the lowest statewide prices at $3,770 and $3,716, respectively.
Note: Data for senior care costs wasn’t available for Saint Louis Park, so data for the nearest city, Minneapolis, was used.
The Cost of Assisted Living in Surrounding Areas
Saint Louis Park/Minneapolis Area
Care Cost Comparison
The price of care varies due to the attention needed, services provided and residential setting. Round-the-clock skilled care in a nursing home institution is the most expensive option in Saint Louis Park, and it averages about $4,000 more per month than assisted living. Adult day health services are offered in a group setting for just a few hours a day during weekdays and costs less than half the price of assisted living. In-home care, provided by homemakers and home health aides, costs over $1,000 more per month than assisted living. This is surprising because assisted living typically includes room and board, whereas seniors have to pay household expenses in addition to the monthly cost of home care services when choosing to live at home.
Senior Care Cost Comparison Chart
Home Health Aide
Adult Day Health Services
Nursing Home Care
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Saint Louis Park
Medicaid in Minnesota
The Minnesota Medicaid program, known as Medical Assistance, provides low-cost or free health care coverage to low-income families, seniors and disabled adults. The services provided include doctor and clinic visits, inpatient and emergency hospital care, medical transportation, lab tests and X-rays, prescription medications and long-term care in a nursing facility. Deductibles and co-pays may be assessed for some applicants based on their financial situation and age.
To qualify for MA coverage, seniors aged 65 and older, blind or disabled adults must meet these financial requirements:
- Have a maximum monthly income of $1,012 if single
- Earn $1,372 or less each month as a married couple when applying together
- Have no more than $3,000 in countable assets as an individual or $6,000 if married and applying jointly
Income from all sources counts toward the limit, but certain assets are disregarded, including a principal residence, one vehicle, personal effects and household furnishings.
To apply for MA coverage, seniors can visit the West Suburban Hennepin County Service Center at 1011 First Street South in Hopkins or call (612) 348-3000.
Saint Louis Park residents who need long-term care services but wish to stay in the community can apply for one of two waiver programs offered by the state.
MA Elderly Waiver
The Elderly waiver offers seniors aged 65 and older a way to obtain necessary care services in the community rather than an institutional nursing facility. The waiver provides approved applicants with a number of services and supports in their own home or a community-based care setting, such as an assisted living facility. The specific services provided depend on an individual’s needs, but may include:
- Case management
- Assistance transitioning back to the community from a nursing facility
- Companion, housekeeping and residential services
- Help with personal care and daily living activities
- Necessary medical equipment and supplies
- Periodic skilled nursing services
- Nonmedical transportation services
To participate in the Elderly waiver program, applicants must:
- Complete a long-term care consultation to confirm their need for a nursing home level of care
- Have a need for services and supports that can be provided in the community at a lower cost than in a nursing home
- Have a maximum monthly income of $2,313 if single or $4,626 as a couple applying jointly
- Own assets with a maximum value of $3,000 if single or $6,000 if married and both spouses apply
Seniors can apply for the Elderly waiver by calling the Senior LinkAge line at (800) 333-2433.
Community Access for Disability Inclusion Waiver
The CADI waiver provides services and supports that allow disabled adults to avoid premature nursing home admission. Depending on an individual’s specific needs, the services provided may include case management, extended assistance with personal care, overnight supervision, medical supplies and equipment and occupational, speech, physical and respiratory therapies.
To qualify, applicants must:
- Be certified as disabled by the state medical review team or Social Security Administration
- Be aged 64 or younger
- Need a nursing facility level of care but prefer to remain in the community
Approved participants have the choice of switching to the Elderly waiver program at age 65 or staying in the CADI program.
Disabled adults can call (612) 348-3000 to learn more about the CADI waiver or apply in person at West Suburban Hennepin County Service Center in Hopkins.
Other Financial Assistance Programs for Assisted Living
Minnesota Housing Support Program
Saint Louis Park seniors and disabled adults with limited incomes may qualify for monthly benefits through the Minnesota Housing Support program. This program provides funds to help cover room-and-board costs for low-income individuals at risk of nursing home admission or homelessness. To qualify, applicants must:
- Be aged 65 and older, or disabled if aged 64 and younger
- Have assets with a maximum value of no more than $10,000
The HS program has a maximum payment of $922 per month towards room-and-board expenses.
Applicants can qualify if they live in various establishments, including assisted living, adult foster care, boarding care, housing with services provided and board and lodges. However, a housing provider must have a program agreement in place with Hennepin County for their application to be approved.
Saint Louis Park residents can apply for HS benefits online or by calling the Hennepin County Human Services and Public Health Department at (612) 596-1300.
Minnesota Supplemental Aid
Saint Louis Park residents who are eligible for Supplemental Security Income benefits automatically qualify for a monthly top-up payment through the Minnesota Supplemental Aid program. This state-funded cash benefit is also available to individuals deemed ineligible for the SSI program because of income if they meet one of these qualifying criteria:
- They’re blind or disabled per SSA standards
- They’re 65 years of age or older
- Have $10,000 or less in assets
Interested seniors and those with disabilities can apply for the MSA program online or by completing a paper application and bringing it to the Hennepin County Human Services office at 300 S. Sixth Street in Minneapolis.
Assisted Living Resources in Saint Louis Park
Senior and disabled veterans living in Saint Louis Park have numerous resources available in nearby Minneapolis. The VA Medical Center offers a full range of health care services, including primary care, surgery, physical medicine and rehabilitation, oncology, geriatrics, neurology and extended care. Assistance obtaining dental and medical benefits and filing VA pension applications is available at the downtown Hennepin County Veterans Services office.
Minneapolis VA Health Care System
One Veterans Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55417
Hennepin County Veterans Services
300 S. Sixth St., Minneapolis, MN 55487
Nearby Assisted Living Communities
Go a bit further out to explore pricing and amenities.
Chapel View Senior Health & Living Senior Living Community
605 Minnetonka Mills Rd,
Hopkins, Minnesota 55343
Senior Homes has an extensive directory of senior living options, with care and living providers across the United States.
- Assisted Living in Saint Paul, MN
- Assisted Living in Minneapolis, MN
- Assisted Living in Bloomington, MN
- Assisted Living in Brooklyn Park, MN
- Assisted Living in Plymouth, MN
- Assisted Living in Eagan, MN
- Assisted Living in Maple Grove, MN
- Assisted Living in Coon Rapids, MN
- Assisted Living in Eden Prairie, MN
- Assisted Living in Burnsville, MN
- Assisted Living in Blaine, MN
- Assisted Living in Minnetonka, MN
- Assisted Living in Apple Valley, MN
Nearby Assisted Living
- Adagio Manor Assisted Living
- Sunrise of Golden Valley
- Sunrise of Edina
- The Waters of Plymouth
- Cedar Ridge Place
- H & H Group Home LLC
- Meadow Ridge Senior Living
- Covenant Living of Golden Valley
- Flourish Senior Living
- Chapel View Senior Health & Living Senior Living Community
- The Waters on 50th
- The Waters of Edina
- Suite Living of Crystal
- The Glenn Hopkins
- SPIRIT Care Homes
Assisted Living Articles and Resources
Compare Costs, Photos, & Reviews of All Your Options Near Saint Louis Park