Alaska: Overview Assisted Living Licensing

What types of facilities provide assisted living services for seniors in Alaska?

State regulations regarding Alaska assisted living homesIn the state of Alaska, there are several types of facilities that provide care services for adults. Facilities that specifically provide assisted living services, such as bathing, grooming or supervision, are called assisted living homes.

  • An Assisted Living Home serves three or more adults who are unrelated to the facility’s owner or is a home that receives state or federal payment for services provided to adults as per Alaska Statute (AS) 47.32.900.

Facilities which serve the elderly, such as hospices, hospitals or nursing facilities, are not considered assisted living homes as per AS 47.32.900.

Who licenses Assisted Living Homes in Alaska?

The Alaska Department of Health and Social Services, Division of Health Care Services’ Assisted Living Office is charged with licensing and inspecting assisted living homes. As per  Alaska Administrative Code (AAC) Title 7 75.020 there are two types of assisted living home licenses:

  • Probationary—homes are issued a probationary license if they were not previously licensed or if they have been cited for noncompliance.
  • Standard—homes are issued a standard license if they have passed the probationary period.

AAC Title 7 75.110 requires the licensee to post the license in the home or make it readily accessible to residents, prospective residents, resident representatives, services providers, staff and the public.

What is required to obtain an Assisted Living Home license?

As part of the application process, an assisted living home’s owner must include a staff plan that details the number of employees and their responsibilities, a business plan (if caring for 11 or more residents) and a disaster preparedness and emergency evacuation plan.

How do I know an Assisted Living Home is licensed in Alaska?

The Assisted Living Office provides a current listing of licensed assisted living homes.

How frequently are Assisted Living Homes inspected?

As per AAC Title 7 75.320, the Assisted Living Office is required to inspect an assisted living home. These visits result in a Report of Inspection.

  • Homes are inspected annually as part of the license renewal process.
  • An inspection will also occur within 24-48 hours of receiving a complaint.

Where can I find the inspection reports of Assisted Living Homes?

To request copies of the Reports of Inspection or Reports of Investigation, it is recommended you call the Assisted Living Office to confirm the types of records you are interested obtaining. You will then be asked to submit the request in writing, whether by fax, email or letter, and then may receive a follow-up phone call to confirm your request.

How long are Assisted Living Homes required to retain their copy of inspection reports?

Inspection reports must be kept for three years as per Alaska Administrative Code Title 7 10.9610. The Assisted Living Office retains the Report of Inspections and Reports of Investigation for as long as the facility has been licensed.

How can I file a complaint against an Assisted Living Home and what is the complaint process?

There are several ways you can file complaints against an assisted living home. You can fax, email or call the following agencies:

Once a complaint is received by any of the offices above, they determine which office should investigate the complaint. The Assisted Living Office handles complaints against assisted living homes, while the Health Facilities Licensing & Certification Office handles complaints against health facilities.

The Assisted Living Office will generally respond within 24-48 hours upon receiving the complaint, sometimes sooner depending upon its severity.

A report of the investigation is not available until the investigation has closed. Unless the complainant has specified wanting a copy of the investigation, generally a copy of the report is not sent out.

Back to top

Senior Advisor

We've Found 268 Facilities Near 98155.

Request a free consultation:

  • Get personalized guidance from a dedicated local advisor
  • Save time with an easy-to-understand breakdown of services and fees.
  • Our service is 100% free to use - no hidden costs.

By submitting this form, you agree to's Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Agreement to be Contacted by Telephone.

Thank You!

A Family Advisor will contact you to help you do your search for you!

Our service is completely free to you.

Speak to an Advisor Now

Tap to Call Us 1-800-748-4024