Univita Health, an organization that promotes independent living by offering services and resources that help individuals access care and age safely at home, released the results of its 2010 Cost of Care Report on August 10, 2010. Univita surveyed over 6,000 home care agencies, nursing homes, and assisted living facilities (more than 2,000 each) between April and May 2010 to obtain data.
Data collected includes daily private-pay rates for single occupancy rooms in skilled nursing facilities, monthly costs for assisted living facilities (private and semi-private rooms), and hourly rates for home health aides for both Medicare-certified and non-certified home health care agencies.
This survey breaks down data state-by-state, providing the minimum, maximum, and average for each of the data points surveyed. Useful findings include:
- Louisiana is the most affordable state for Medicare-certified home care ($14.50/hour on average in Shreveport, LA for a hom health aide from a certified home health agency) and skilled nursing facility care ($143/day for a private, single occupancy room in Lafayette, LA)
- Brooklyn, NY beats Louisiana’s rates when it comes to non-certified home health agencies, however. The average hourly rate for a home health aide from a non-certified home health agency is $11.90/hour.
- National average annual cost for a private room in a skilled nursing facility is $90,155. (National average daily rate is $247)
- National average rate for a home health aide provided by a Medicare-certified home health agency is $22.14 per hour.
- National average rate for a home health aide provided by a non-certified home health agency is $18.41 per hour.
- The average monthly rate for a private room in an assisted living facility is $3,294.67 per month.
- The average monthly rate for a semi-private room in an assisted living facility is $2,025.28 per month.
Image Copyright sufinawaz on Stock.xchng