It's all about social media these days, and caregivers are flocking to the 'net to connect with fellow caregivers, family members and seniors to build a sense of community. Social networking provides an opportunity for caregivers to support one another--even across thousands of miles--get information, tips and resources about caregiving, specific medical conditions, treatment options, local activities to enhance the quality of life for their aging loved ones and so much more.
We've noticed a big increase in the number of caregivers and experts making use of the Twitter-sphere to share information and tips with others. So we thought we'd take a look at some of our favorite Tweeters and round up a list of some power Twitter users you should be following (if you're not already). Some are new, some have been around for quite some time and some have thousands of followers--but all are worthy of your attention.
- AARP Home & Family - AARP's Home & Family has been making a mark lately by advocating for employers to offer paid leave benefits to caregivers. Outside of its advocacy work, AARP is a valuable resource for Boomers, seniors and family caregivers all-around. Also check out @AARP and @AARPAdvocates.
- Kathryn Murphy - Kathryn Murphy is the owner of Comfort Keepers in Jacksonville, FL, and she's a great resource for all things caregiving-related.
- Borderless Minders - Based in Singapore but serving everywhere, Borderless Minders offers "a full suite of tools, interactive health videos & factsheets, and a directory of goods, services and caregivers." Check out their website and give them a follow on Twitter; they have a ton of resources available.
- Anthony Cirillo - We're proud to call Anthony a friend, and he's served us as a Best Senior Living Awards Judge since the program's inception. We're giving him a shout-out here not because of what he's done for us, but because of what he can do for you. Anthony's an incredible source of information through his various blogs and always posts valuable content.
- Unfrazzle - We've only recently discovered Unfrazzle on Twitter, and we're so glad we did! Their mission is to help caregivers maintain their sanity while taking care of themselves in order to better care for their loved ones.
- Alzheimer's Support - When it comes to the latest news on Alzheimer's disease, look no further than @SandyAlz, who runs Free-Alzheimers-Support.com and is always on top of the best caregiver tips, treatment news and much more for Alzheimer's sufferers and caregivers.
- Dementia Today - A great publication covering the full spectrum of dementia, including disease information, news and treatments, and advice for caregivers. Dementia Today offers insights on both the scientific end and the emotional end of Alzheimer's disease and other types of dementia.
- The Caregiver Partnership - Lynn Wilson tweets for The Caregiver Partnership using the handle @CaregiverTweets. She's an incredible resource for caregivers, with Daily Caregiver Affirmations that will inspire even the most down-and-out caregivers. Check out The Caregiver Partnership on Pinterest, as well.
- Senior Living News (ALFA Online) - @ALFA_Online is the Twitter presence for the Assisted Living Federation of America, which does a tremendous amount of work in the senior living space, advocating for positive elder care and top-notch senior living environments. For industry news and information on what's happening in the senior housing industry, @ALFA_Online is definitely one to follow.
- Senior Care Corner - Kathy Birkett did us the honor of serving as a Judge in this year's Best Senior Living Awards. Guess how we found her? You got it: Twitter. Kathy is a wealth of information for seniors, their loved ones and caregivers, with fresh and engaging content on a regular basis. If you're not already following Kathy on Twitter, you should do so today!
Image by svilen001 on Stock.xchng