Technology is re-shaping the healthcare industry. With HIPAA and other regulations getting stricter by the day while technology becomes more prevalent for things like maintaining patient records, staying compliant becomes challenging. At the same time, new technology is streamlining the delivery of patient care, reducing medical errors and saving lives. Leading experts in health technology are taking to the blogosphere to keep both providers and consumers up-to-date on the latest technologies impacting the industry. Here's a look at a few, listed in no particular order of importance.
1. HealthIT Buzz - Where else to turn for the latest regulatory information than the federal government? Run by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC), HealthIT Buzz shares information on the ongoing transition of the healthcare industry to electronic health records. Regulations like the HIPAA Security Rule weigh heavily on Covered Entities, so this blog is an excellent resource for keeping tabs on changes to the rules and guidelines.
2. Personal Health Tech Blog - Ira Brodsky blogs about health technology from a personal perspective in an easy-to-understand format. While this blog is relatively new, we've included it in this list thanks to the easily digestible news on health technology that's relevant to patients and caregivers. Definitely one to watch.
3. iHealthTran - The Institute for Health Technology Transformation "is the leading organization committed to bringing together private and public sector leaders fostering the growth and effective use of technology across the healthcare industry." The Institute offers programming spanning a wide range of healthcare industry entities, including providers, medical device manufacturers, consumer and patient groups, and much more. The blog is engaging and highly informative -- discussing the use of Twitter for customer service, new innovations that shape patient care, and more.
4. Kevin MD - Kevin Pho, MD, is "social media's leading physician voice," providing physician insights on the latest breaking medical news. Trust us, this blog is anything but dry. Pho sheds some light on the new voice of the physician world--the patient-empowering, thoughtful, and engaged practitioners that thrive on saving and improving lives, and aren't afraid of trying the next great technology to make it happen.
5. Health Tech Hatch - This blog covers mobile technology -- including a recent call-out to mobile app developers to come up with something to ease the process of self-care, along with news on progress with the move to electronic health records, cost savings and tons of other useful tidbits.
6. CNET - One of the web's leading news publications, CNET has an impressive section devoted solely to health technology. Recent posts include coverage of a children's cancer wing transformed into a "superhero" wing and other heartwarming and informative news on the cutting edge of health tech.
7. My Health Tech Blog - The great thing about this list of health tech blogs is that there are so many different perspectives represented. Deborah Leyva, author of My Health Tech Blog, spent 17 years in the technology industry and is now a Registered Nurse and Health Informatics Specialist. She offers an abundance of insightful expertise on everything from HIPAA (including some valuable HIPAA checklists and tools), to healthcare analytics, awards, and EHR.
8. eHealth - Focusing on all things electronic health technology, eHealth is managed by John Sharp, a medical center IT manager in Ohio. Sharp is active in a number of premier healthcare and technology associations and brings his expertise forward on e-health, personal health records, Web 2.0 and more.
9. Health Plan Innovation - Health practitioners aren't the only entities impacted by the technology wave. Health Plan Innovation focuses on ways to use innovation to "solve health care access, quality and funding issues." We don't think there's anyone out there who would disagree that this is exactly the kind of thought leadership we need to solve the nation's healthcare crisis.
10. Meaningful HIT News - Neil Versel is a professional healthcare journalist, bringing yet another point of view to this blog roundup. Versel has written on healthcare technology for a wide range of publications and brings his investigative journalism experience to the blogosphere, sharing both light-hearted looks at the challenges in the industry as well as a serious approach to covering some of the biggest changes impacting practitioners, quality, mobile health and other pertinent facets of the industry.
What are your favorite reads on the intersection between health and technology? Any favorite bloggers who share insights from the changing world of health IT in an engaging way? Tell us what health IT blogs you love in the comments below.