Seniors can find it tough to keep in touch in a technology-focused world. When they finally do get the chance to call and catch up with family, they may forget to tell that funny story they knew their daughter would love.
If that sounds familiar, instead of waiting for the next call, try sharing your stories on your own personal blog.
The Internet may feel like a young person’s world, but it is a world of possibilities for people of advanced ages. With a few easy steps, your senior blog can be up and running, allowing you to share your thoughts with the world, regain purpose in life and build a feeling of connection with your far-off family.
Setting Up Your BlogWordPress is one of the easiest ways to set up your first blog. It is free, and you can upgrade for special features. The easy setup process means you can get to writing right away.
- Go to wordpress.com and click on “Create Website.”
- Decide on the name of your blog. Your blog’s name is how people will find the blog, and the title is the perfect chance to show your personality.
- Choose a plan. You can stick with the free option, or you can upgrade to get your own domain name and more storage space. If you decide to purchase a domain name, your blog will live at yourblogname.com instead of yourblogname.wordpress.com.
- Create your account by entering your email address and creating a password.
Designing Your BlogNow that you’ve created your account, you can get to the fun part—customizing what your blog will look like. When you log into your account, you will see a menu on the left side. This is where you control your blog.
- Choose a theme. This is what your website will look like. To change the theme, click on Appearance > Themes. Explore the library and click on “Live Preview” to see what it will look like. Once you’ve made your choice, click on “Save and Activate.”
- Add widgets. Widgets are tools that you can add to the sidebars of your blog. You can add an email subscription form, a Facebook Like box, and more. Choose the widgets you want and drag them from the list on the left to the boxes on the right.
Publishing Your First PostsWith your design complete, it is time to fill your blog with your thoughts.
- Create a new post by going to the left hand menu bar and clicking on Posts > Add New.
- Add a title to the post in the title box.
- Write your post. You can share memories from the past, your favorite recipes, or your thoughts about what happened today. The possibilities are endless!
- Click on “Save Draft” often, to make sure your work doesn’t disappear by accident.
- Preview your post to make sure it looks the way you want it to.
- Click on “Publish” to release your blog post into the world.
Staying ConnectedA blog is designed to be read, so you will need to spread the word about your blog. Share the URL with your friends and family and post the URL to your social media accounts, if you have them. With your own blog, you will have your own little space on the Internet. It is the perfect way to both express yourself and stay connected to those you love.
Shayne Fitz-Coy is the Co-CEO and President of Alert-1, an aging-in-place technology company headquartered in Williamsport, Pennsylvania with offices nationwide. A Certified Aging in Place Specialist, Shayne has a bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Harvard College and a master’s in Business Administration from the Stanford Graduate School of Business. Shayne hails from Maryland, and now calls the Bay Area home.