We're wrapping up July in honor of Sandwich Generation month! With news and advice for Sandwich Gen-ers all across the web this month, we read some great insights for this generation of caregivers squished squarely between young children and aging parents. Among an article or two discussing sandwiches (we're thinking maybe they had the wrong idea about what Sandwich Generation month is really about...) there are dozens of valuable resources.
So to sum up Sandwich Generation Month 2013, here's a look at some of the best content from around the 'net.
1. MomatLast.com talks about the inevitability that many of today's parents will eventually find themselves caught in the middle, offering four ways to start preparing yourself now.
2. Members of the Sandwich Generation face the very real possibility of burnout every day. Caregiving Clubshares seven ways you can beat burn-out.
3. Brighter Life has an insightful post on the common challenges facing Sandwich Gen-ers. Stress, financial struggles, time management and more--along with some strategies for overcoming those issues.
4. Everything Elder Law has an informative post on what it means to be part of the Sandwich Generation, including some startling facts and statistics.
5. Teenagers are challenging enough to parent, let alone try to juggle managing teenage angst while handling the struggles of caring for aging parents. Qualicare offers up 10 guidelines for caring for teens and aging parents at the same time.
6. Sherri Snelling of the Caregiving Club and Diana Waugh, a RN and author of the book "I Was Thinking - Unlocking the door to successful conversations with loved ones with cognitive loss" weigh in with some insights on the juggling act--and the importance of open communication--at Blog Talk Radio.
7. The demographic is shifting, and the Sandwich Generation is under more pressure than ever. Leading industry expert Anthony Cirillo weighs in at About.com.
8. Here are three expert tips on coping with being sandwiched in the middle of two generations from HuffPo author Ellen Dolgen.
9. Should the Sandwich Generation really be called "The Pretzel Generation"? Because Hope Matters thinks so. Find out why!
10. Anthony Cirillo features a video on his personal blog, Who Moved My Dentures?, regarding the shifting demands and pressures of the Sandwich Generation from Boomers to Gen X-ers.
11. Assisted Transition offers some Sandwich Generation stress-beating tips.
12. Juggling aging parents and children? Worried about dropping one or the other? Not everyone is a great juggler, but Digital Journal has some advice on mastering the juggling act.
13. Lubbock Online takes a look at real estate trends driven by the growing Sandwich Generation--specifically, more families are looking at multi-generational housing options to ease the challenges of caring for two generations.
14. This 2011 article from Kiplinger is so thorough and valuable, it's still worth a read if you are--or will someday be--sandwiched in the middle.
15. Communication, money, time management and self-care: These are all important considerations for Sandwich Gen-ers. Read what The Art of Aging has to say about coping.
16. Ready to literally lose your mind? Don't toss it out just yet. Check out these nine sanity-saving resources for the Sandwich Generation at Caregiving.com.
17. E.C. Davis shares a personal story and some thoughts about where the Sandwich Generation is going at Empowering Parents.
18. Finding yourself smack dab in the middle of a sandwich is an odd experience for some. Check out these tips for living within the Sandwich Generation at Better After 50.
19. The Sandwich Generation is evolving, thanks to shifting demographics and a number of external factors. Find out why and how at MauiNews.com.
20. Financial Planning Partners shares a great overview of what it means to be a part of the Sandwich Generation and how to prepare.
21. One resounding theme from this year's Sandwich Generation month is the financial struggles that come along with trying to meet the needs of both the elder and younger generations. LTCIReviews.com discusses the financial pinch and how Sandwich Gen-ers are squeezed for resources.
22. We can't talk about senior care, caregiving, or the Sandwich Generation without tapping into technology. Turns out, Sandwich Gen-ers are doing just that to help them manage care for aging parents. Read more at The Westerly Sun.
23. Are you among the squeezed? Dating Dementia weighs in with some info on the origin of the term "Sandwich Generation" and some other valuable advice.
24. Pew Research is always an awesome source for demographics and essential data. Pew doesn't disappoint this July with a robust set of statistics and key data points, all related to the Sandwich Generation.
25. Finally, did you take some time for self-reflection this month? If you're a member of the prestigious Sandwich Generation, you deserve a pat on the back. CareLinx talks about the importance of giving yourself some self-recognition and realizing just how big an impact you have on your loved ones.
So, readers: What did you read about the Sandwich Generation this month? Did you learn something new and fabulous? Share your favorite reads and advice from the month with us in the comments below!
Image by Johnragai on Flickr