Description of Seniors Helping Seniors
Since 1998, Seniors Helping Seniors® has been building on their unique concept of home care by matching mature adults in need with caring, able-bodied seniors who want to help. Stuart and Heidi Berr are owners of the Suffolk County, New York branch, serving customers in Kings Park, Smithtown, St. James, Hauppauge, Bohemia, Nesconset, Ronkonkoma, Islip Terrace, Lake Grove, Islandia, Brentwood, Central Islip, Stonybrook and Port Jefferson. Who can better understand the point of view of a senior citizen than one of his own peers? Whether you or your loved one needs just a little assistance or full-time care, Seniors Helping Seniors can meet your needs. Helpers are available hourly, daily, overnight, or on a live-in basis: 24/7.
Suffolk County owner, Stuart Berr, takes comprehensive measures to not only hire loving, competent caregivers, but to match the personalities and interests of the senior teams. Mr. Berr personally interviews helpers, seniors and their family members to get the whole story, obtaining lists of interests from all parties. "I want them to LOVE the person," emphasizes Mr. Berr. And they generally do. The pairing of a senior with a like-minded caregiver both fulfills companionship needs and provides the mental stimulation so important for older people. "Just okay hasn't happened yet" says Mr. Berr with regards to caregiver evaluations.
Although senior helpers are paid, "money cannot be the major motivator for taking the job", according to Mr. Berr. He ensures that caregivers have the heart for the role, and many do have service backgrounds like healthcare or education. Helpers see this labor of love as a golden opportunity for their own spiritual growth and psychological welfare. Both parties win.
Ongoing training is available in the form of seminars that educate on pertinent senior issues, such as Alzheimer's and dementia. Both caregivers and owners attend these lectures. One example is "Perspectives on Brain Health and Cognitive Training in Senior Communities," hosted by the Alzheimer Association. Franchise owners also receive ongoing training and phone support from corporate headquarters.
Stuart Berr's 20-year experience in the insurance industry dealing with healthcare issues, coupled with a B.A. in psychology, is an ideal foundation for his current career working with caregivers and families. Add Heidi Berr's 20-year career in psychotherapy, and you have a winning team. They acted as caretakers for their own parents, so they know first hand the responsibilities involved in tending to seniors.
Employee Background Check/Training
- Performs criminal background check
- Checks personal and business references
- Checks driving record
- Confirms legal U.S. residency
- Attains copies of Social Security card, driver's license, and auto insurance
- Conducts initial phone interview
- Conducts in-person interview
- Attends and sends caregivers to informational seminars for ongoing training
- Light housekeeping
- House maintenance and small repairs
- Yard work
- Medication checks
- Assistance with exercises
- Mobility assistance
- Alzheimer/dementia care
- Doctor visits
- Overnight stays (24-hour care)
- Respite care
- Seniors retain their independence while living in their own homes within familiar surroundings.
- Caregivers and their recipients form strong, loving bonds.
- Older adults can more easily accept help from those who understand: their peers.
- Helpers see their work as a ministry, not a job. They come in as friends.
|Licensed by State:|
|Certified by State:|
|Types of Care:|
- Light housekeeping
- Meal preparation
- grocery shopping
- Accompany clients to doctors' appointments
- Memory care
- Transfer assistance
- Managing finances
- Home maintenance
- Most team members have caregiving or healthcare backgrounds.
- We interview every team member in person
- We check references
- We check driving records
- We confirm legal U.S. residency
- Phone and in-person interviews
- Staff members receive ongoing/continuing training
- Caregivers attend seminars on pertinent senior issues.
|Caregivers Bonded and Insured:|
|Care Can Be Provided In:|
- We provide care in the client's home
- We provide care in assisted living facilities
- We provide overnight care
- We provide short-term or one-time care
- We provide live-in care, We provide respite care
- Check, Long-term care insurance