Love in your golden years may seem like something you’re “too old for.” In reality, it’s the perfect time to find your soulmate. You have more time on your hands, know what you want in life, and you’re not afraid to be you. No matter what age you are, love and compassion are important parts of living a happy life.
Whether you’re widowed and ready for a new partner, or have just been out of marriage for a while—love doesn’t have an age limit.
What to Keep in Mind
Before becoming fully dedicated to finding a soulmate, know what you are getting into. Keep in mind these helpful tips.
- Know what you’re looking for in a significant other. After learnings from a lifetime of experiences, mistakes, and lessons, you’ll know exactly what you want in a person as you settle down. Try to find someone who has the same interests or retirement plans as you so you will be compatible together.
- Be patient. You may start to realize that finding “the one” is easier said than done, but don’t let that bring your hopes down. Keep in mind that you shouldn’t rush into things with the first person you’re interested in either. Try dating for a while so you can truly match with the right person.
- Let your children know. You want your children to know that you are dating so you can get their support in this decision. They will likely be supportive and understand that you aren’t trying to replace their other parent. You can even ask them for advice on what and what not to do!
Ways to Meet Other Single Seniors
Do you have trouble figuring out exactly how to meet other single seniors? It’s easier than you think. You will meet other single seniors with some creative thinking.
- Get in touch with Facebook friends. If you use Facebook then take advantage of your huge online social circle. Don’t be afraid to get back in touch with that old friend who you may have shared a connection with many years ago. Reach out to them in a friendly manner and explore the possibilities.
- Try an online dating service. Meeting someone online is a common way all ages are finding love. Many seniors use online dating as an effective way to connect with the perfect match. Set up your profile with specific details about your interests and let the website take control to match you with compatible people.
- Attend local senior center events. What better way to meet single seniors than by going to your local senior center? These facilities always hold many different celebrations, holidays, and activities. Senior centers make it easy to find that special someone right in your own community.
- Go to music and dance nights at local restaurants. Meet other singles over a nice dinner while dancing to live music in the background. This is a great alternative to the typical dinner date and a fun way to create chemistry with that special someone.
- Sign up with senior travel groups. Do you have any travel destinations to check off your bucket list? Retirement is the perfect time to travel! There are plenty of senior travel groups that make it easy to meet and find your new significant other. What better way to meet and get to know a person than on a relaxing vacation.
- Start volunteering. If you’re looking for someone who is caring and kindhearted, try volunteering. You will have a chance to meet singles who are dedicated to giving back to the community. With common interests, you will hit it off and get along fast.
Don’t give up on love just because you’re aging. This should be a time to live happily and relax, so make it extra special with your soulmate by your side.
Tracy Layden is a Certified Aging in Place Specialist. Born and raised in Silicon Valley, Tracy leads the marketing efforts at Alert-1, a personal safety technology and consulting firm dedicated to helping seniors live safely and independently. Tracy holds a degree in mathematics from Scripps College and is an accomplished ballroom dancer and equestrian.