Arkansas: Overview of Assisted Living Licensing

What types of facilities provide assisted living services for seniors in Arkansas?

Licensing of assisted living facilities in ArkansasIn the state of Arkansas, there are several types of facilities that provide care services for adults. Facilities that specifically provide assisted living services, such as bathing, grooming or supervision, for adults 60 years or older are called assisted living facilities.

Arkansas Code Title 20, Subtitle 2, 10-1703 defines assisted living facilities as any building or residential facility that provides assisted living services for more than 24 hours to three or more adult residents.

  • Assisted Living Facilities Level I provide supportive health and social services to maintain their residents’ individuality, privacy, dignity and independence in an apartment-style living unit. This facility may also have an Alzheimer’s Special Care Unit.
  • Assisted Living Facilities Level II provides the same services as a Level I facility but has physically distinct parts or wings for residents who receive or are medically eligible for nursing home level of care. These facilities must also obtain a long-term care license, along with having a Level I license. This facility may also have an Alzheimer’s Special Care Unit.

Who licenses Assisted Living Facilities  in Arkansas?

The Arkansas Department of Human Services Division of Medical Services’ Office of Long Term Care is charged with licensing and inspecting assisted living facilities. Inspections are performed as part of an annual licensure survey or when a complaint is lodged against the facility.

What is required to obtain an Assisted Living Facility license?

To become licensed, an application must provide information that includes the name of the facility, owner information, a copy of the floor plan and a copy of the contract for the provision of services. For Assisted Living Facility Level II licensure, the facility must also be granted a license for a Level I facility.

How do I know an Assisted Living Facility is licensed in Arkansas?

The Office of Long Term Care provides a Long Term Care Facility search that lists the facility name, address, license type and ownership details.

How frequently are Assisted Living Facilities inspected?

Facilities are inspected twice a year, unless a complaint is received. The inspection reports are called a Standard Health or a Standard Life and Safety. If a deficiency results, the report is called a Statement of Deficiency.

Where can I find inspection reports of Assisted Living Facilities?

The inspection data is currently unavailable online and must be requested from the Office of Long Term Care.

  • Rules #016.06.02-030 (1001) (f) and #016.06.09-023 (1001) (f) require assisted living facilities to post the Statement of Deficiencies, the facility’s response and the outcome of the response from the latest survey in a public area. Deficiency notices and facility responses for all surveys conducted in the last 12 months should be made available upon request.

How long are Assisted Living Facilities required to retain their copy of inspection reports?

The Office of Long Term Care retains copies of the facility inspection reports for five years, and the facility should retain their records for the same length of time.

How can I file a complaint against an Assisted Living Facility and what is the complaint process?

The Office of Long Term Care investigates complaints against facilities and allegations of poor resident care. You may file a complaint by telephone, fax, email or letter.

Back to top

Senior Advisor

We've Found 268 Facilities Near 98155.

Request a free consultation:

  • Get personalized guidance from a dedicated local advisor
  • Save time with an easy-to-understand breakdown of services and fees.
  • Our service is 100% free to use - no hidden costs.

By submitting this form, you agree to's Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Agreement to be Contacted by Telephone.

Thank You!

A Family Advisor will contact you to help you do your search for you!

Our service is completely free to you.

Speak to an Advisor Now

Tap to Call Us 1-800-748-4024